Monday, June 17, 2024

Ozempic Sucks, Plus Other Garden News

Vegetable Garden in Early May
This is a blog about vegetable gardening. It will always be about vegetable gardening. That is the main subject. The main idea. It is why I write these things down. However, I reserve my right to digress from time to time to take in other areas. Like this one: Ozempic is a horrible medication. I have lived with those daily injections for three weeks. I cannot begin to describe this horrible experience. It is one reason as to why I haven't updated this blog recently.

I am not about to describe the side effects from this medication. Many of them are listed online. You can read it for yourself. I've experienced all of them, plus others that are not described in detail as they probably should be. This has been one terrible trip. However, I have come to the decision that it is simply not worth it. No more Ozempic. Ever. I will let Diabetes win.

Rant Over. Back to the garden. I promise.

Vegetable Garden in June
This is the state of the 2024 summer vegetable garden. It is the "progress so far" report between plant out and the first month of garden growth. The picture above right represents the vegetable garden just after every last starter plant and seed was set into the prepared beds. That's 30-tomato plants, six hot pepper plants (including The Survivor), 15 sweet or bell pepper plants, three tiny basil plant starters plus one row of Sumter cucumber seed and a separate row of two different types of bush bean seed.

The three or four squash starters that I had kept around would go into another nearby bed that would not be prepped for another week or two. I'm still attempting to locate some additional starter plants for this bed, but I don't think tomatoes will be one of the choices. 30 tomato plants will be quite enough. Or, perhaps too much. It all depends upon your state of mind.

The second photo, located above left, is the state of the garden in June. This photo was taken in the same spot as the first photo was. It was just taken 30-days later, June 3rd to be exact. The tomato plants then, which are about twice this size now in mid June, all got off to a great start. There was one exception to this fantastic start. It was a plant that Bandit the Border Collie paid a wee bit too much attention too. It has since recovered from this Border Collie attention and is setting a terrific early crop.

Purslane With Peppers
No, I am not about to tell you the kind of attention that Bandit paid to this particular starter plant. It's not the kind of attention that would normally be considered to be helpful. Although, it just might have been based upon the number of blossoms that this plant in question is putting out this June. It appears to be quite happy!

The orange garden protector known as Mango the Magnificent is back on the job once again. It's hist job to deter the garden pests that come to visit late at night, hoping to filch a snack or two. Despite suffering some problems with his back legs over a long and cold winter, it hasn't deterred or affected his ability to patrol the garden rows at night, or quietly stand guard in spots around the yard that critters have used in the past to gain garden access.

One of the biggest problems so far has been weeds and weed control. The spring garden pest known as Purslane is once again putting on a terrific show in the garden. Yes, Purslane is reportedly edible. Reportedly. However, I am not the "forager" type of backyard gardener. With the exception of a volunteer grapevine that is poised to deliver a massive amount of grapes later this summer, I tend to stick with what I planted.

This means I avoid the Purslane. Yes, I understand Purslane is edible. The University of Wisconsin-Madison Horticulture Department goes a step further by proclaiming the following: It is considered quite nutritious because it is unusually high in omega-3 fatty acids (found mostly in fish and flax seeds) and contains significant amounts of vitamins A and C, as well as calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium and antioxidants.

Weeding Out the Purslane
However, I still did not plant this. I'm not quite ready to forage for something I didn't plant. Unless it's a wild green grape. Which, I must admit, is pretty darn good.

At some point, when my appetite for any type of food returns (another fine side effect that I am suffering from), I will actually get to enjoy the fruits that this garden will eventually produce. I hope that appetite does return. Because the day of extreme garden production isn't all that far off.

I have implemented a few changes in this year's garden. Most of the changes deal with water. All gardens need this vital resource. However, the changes I have implemented this year have either resulted in some mildly impressive growth and early fruit sets, OR, it's just "one of those years." I appear to be blessed. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<b>Pepper Palace</b>

Lilac Bell Peppers We are at that point in the summer where many tomato plants are beginning to slow down. If your garden is anything like m...